The weather was rather warm, still hovering at around 32°C. Needless to say, the best condition for baking bread.
Purple Sweet Potato Filling
250 g purple sweet potato
1 - 1.5 tspn fresh milk
1. Wash the sweet potato thoroughly. Peel the skin off and steam with the skin till cooked.
2. Mash the sweet potato. Combine the mashed sweet potato and milk. Cool completely.
3. Divide equally into 8 portions. Set aside.
The Bun Dough
200 g all-purpose flour
20 g caster sugar
100 ml warm milk
4 g instant dried yeast
1/2 tsp salt
1 egg (as egg wash)
1. Sprinkle the yeast over the warm milk. Stir to dissolve the yeast. Leave for 15 minutes.
2. Put the flour, salt, sugar, butter in a large bowl. Pour the foamed yeast into the dry mixture. Bring the ingredients together to form a sticky mass.
3. Sprinkle flour on the counter, transfer the dough to the counter, and begin kneading (or mixing on medium speed with the dough hook). Knead the dough for about 10 minutes (or mix for about 8 minutes), sprinkling in more flour if needed to make a tacky, but not sticky dough.
Lightly oil a large bowl and transfer the dough to the bowl, rolling it to coat it with oil. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap.
4. First proofing – Leave to rise for 60 – 90 minutes, or until 2.5 times in size.
* Note : The finger test : Press a finger into the dough. If indentation remains, the dough has properly risen.
5. Preheat oven to 180°C.
6. Once ready, knock back the dough by punching it gently. Turn out the dough. Fold the dough into thirds. Divide the dough into 8 equal portions
7. Shape each piece into a ball lightly.
8. Flatten the dough. Place the filling 30g into the centre. Gather the dough up around the filling.
9. Flatten each ball and roll into a 15 cm strip. Make 3 cuts lengthwise. Roll it lengthwise (approximately 15 cm).
10. Now make a simple knot with the roll dough, so that each bun will look like this…
11. Leave to rise for 40-50 minutes, or until 2 times in size.
12. Brush the surface with beaten egg and add some black sesame seeds in the centre.
13. Bake at 160°C for 1o minutes or until turn brown.
And my Mr requested for a simple bun.
A healthy snack and breakfast for my family.