Yes, summer is coming soon.
And it is time for some berry desserts. I shall start with…..
So I decided on the Raspberry Eclairs, inspired by Christophe Adam. There are three components for this snack. The choux pastry, filling and the raspberry jam.
For the choux pastry
The ingredients and method are as posted in the blog, Éclairs Au Chocolat (Chocolate Eclairs).This makes around 10 – 12 eclairs of 10 cm long.
For raspberry jam, (from Gordan Ramsay recipe)
- 400g raspberries (I used frozen ones)
- 2 tbsp cold water
- 100g caster sugar
- 1 vanilla pod, split
200g fresh raspberries as topping
For the crème pâtissière
- 150 ml ( 10 tbsp ) milk
- 100ml ( 7 tbsp ) whipping cream
- 20g ( 1½ tbsp )plain flour
- 15g ( 1 tbsp )cornflour
- 3 large egg yolks
- 40g ( 3 tbsp )caster sugar
1. Make around 10 -12 eclairs (ard 10 cm long) using the method as posted in the previous blog.
2. The crème patissière can be made two to three days before and keep them in the fridge and take it out when you need it. For the crème patissière base, heat the milk and cream in a heavy-based saucepan until almost boiling. Sift the flour and cornflour together. Beat the egg yolks and sugar together in a large bowl, then mix in the flour.
3. Next step is the secret, add a splash of the hot creamy milk and whisk well until the mixture is smooth, then gradually whisk in the rest of the milk. Pour back into the pan and whisk over a medium-low heat for 3-5 minutes until thickened and smooth. Transfer to a bowl, cover and cool to room temperature, stirring occasionally to prevent a skin forming.
4. Put the raspberries in a saucepan with half the caster sugar, the vanilla pod and seeds and heat slowly, stirring until the sugar dissolves. Cover and simmer for about 5 minutes until the fruit has softened into a puree. Sieve the puree through a sieve, pushing it through with the back of a ladle. Discard the raspberry seeds and vanilla pod and leave the puree to cool.
1. Pipe the raspberry puree into each fresh raspberry as the topping. The puree will add the sweet flavour to the fresh raspberries. Put aside for use later
2. Cut the top part of each eclair to create space for the filling. Pipe the crème patissière into the each one, taking up around 80% of the space.
3. Arrange the raspberries on top of the eclairs in 2 neat rolls. And dust it with icing sugar.
Here we have them, raspberry eclairs .