This is a simple sweet treat upon request from my little one.
Last week, she asked “Mummy, can you make a piñata cupcake for each of my friends for Children’s Day celebration?”
Interesting, I thought.
So I decided to try this out.
The Dark Chocolate Cakes makes 12 regular cupcakes
140g all-purpose flour
14og caster sugar
60g Dutch-processed cocoa powder (I used Hershey’s)
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup hot coffee
Preheat oven to 160° C. Prepare 12 cupcake lines in the cake pans. Set aside.
In a mixer bowl, combine the sugar, flour, cocoa powder, salt, baking powder, and baking soda. Mix well.
In a separate bowl, combine the beaten egg, vegetable oil, and milk. Stir well till mix.
With the mixer on low, pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Mix on low until evenly distributed.
Pour the hot coffee into the batter gradually and mix on medium low until smooth.
Divide the batter between the cupcake liners. Bake for 20 minutes. When a toothpick inserted at the centre of the cupcake comes out cleanly, the cakes are baked.
Remove from oven and let cool completely on a wire rack.
Chocolate Ganache Frosting enough for 12 regular cupcakes
450 g bittersweet chocolate
400 ml heavy cream
50g unsalted butter
- Place the chopped chocolate in a medium sized heatproof bowl. Set aside.
- Heat the cream and butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. (The cream and butter can also be heated in the microwave.)
- Bring just to a boil. Immediately pour the boiling cream over the chocolate and allow to stand, without stirring, for a few minutes.
- Stir gently (as you do not want to incorporate air into the ganache) with a spoon or whisk until smooth.
- Place in the fridge for 45 minutes to allow it to set.
300g M&Ms chocolate
- Once the cupcakes were cooled, cut a cone shape out of the top of the cupcake.
- Cut the point off the cone.
- Fill the hole with the M&Ms.
- Cover hole and seal with the frosting.
5. Pipe the chocolate ganache and then decorate.
6. Place in the fridge for 30 minutes. Serve and enjoy.
And here it goes, the cross-section of this ‘surprise cake’!