Finally, time to update my blog on the bakes for CNY.
The first is Lapis Legit, or the Kueh Lapis, as we know fondly.
Lapis Legit is a popular Dutch-Indonesian layered cake. It was developed during colonial times in the Dutch East Indies and may have been based on Dutch cake, Baumkuchen recipe using local mix of spices of cinnamon, clove and nutmeg.
This cake commonly known as Kueh Lapis in Singapore, is a popular gift especially during Chinese New Year. Not sure about the reason but I guess the richness of the multi-layered cake means layers of goodness.
Ingredients – for a 20cm x 20cm square pan
300ml condensed milk
22 pieces of egg yolk
200g caster sugar
8 pieces of egg white
1/2 tsp cream of tartar
220g cake flour or Hong Kong flour
1 1/2 tsp lapis spices (I used : 1/2 tsp nutmeg, 1 tsp cinnamon powder)
3 tbsp rum
*Note : I used Golden Churn tinned butter spread – freeze the butter overnight then cut into pieces before using.
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180 degree Celsius.
2. Sift the flour and the spices. Set aside.
3. Cream butter, condensed milk and rum liquor at medium speed for abt 5-10 mins until fluffy and creamy. Add in sugar and contain to beat for 5 minutes. Mix well and set aside.
4. Add in egg yolks and beat at max speed until thick. Set aside.
5. Whisk egg whites, sugar and cream of tartar in a clean mixing bowl at max speed until stiff.
6. With a handwhisk/spatula fold 1/3 of the egg whites into butter-egg yolk mixture continue the process of folding the rest till two mixtures are well incorporated.
7. Mix the flour well into the mixture above.
8. Place the baking paper on the preheated tin, grease the paper well.
9. Spread a small amount of batter, 120g, weigh the batter to ensure even layer) on the warm tin and bake till golden at the center rack. Take about 5-7mins for the 1st layer.
10. Turn the oven to grill mode. Place a second layer of 80g and grill this second layer till brown. Repeat the grilling process for all the subsequent layers of 80g each.
11. Use a metal presser to lightly press each baked layer before adding new batter. Spread the batter evenly till it melted. Before going into the oven, give it a bang to let out the air bubbles. This will help to even out the layers too. Continue baking the cake by the layers until the batter uses up.
12. For the last layer, turn the oven to the normal baking mode. And bake for around 10 minutes or till toothpick came out clean.
I took around 3 hours to complete this baking project. And the most important thing is not to leave eyes off the window of the oven.
Well, the effort was worth it. The happiness on my family’s faces when they tasted my maiden lapis legit.
Wishing everyone receives layers of goodness in all aspects of his and her lives in this year.